Job Classification: Temporary, full time; no more than 40 hours per week
Hours: Varies (6-8 hrs shifts scheduled between 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., M-F)
Compensation: $20+, DOE
Classroom teachers with 5+ years of experience pay scale starts at $30 an hr
This position is responsible for developing and teaching thematic camp activities for students in Grades K-8 each day. Camp Instructors also lead morning meetings and closing circles and supervise students during lunch and/or recess.
Essential Job Functions:
The Camp Instructor is responsible for developing and presenting innovative and engaging lessons as well as providing supervision and care to students during the camp day.
- Develop and lead fun and engaging project based learning experiences
- Lead daily morning meetings, large group songs, games, closing circle
- Facilitate activities designed to focus on teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development
- Mentor, support, and empower Camp Assistants
- Communicating effectively with all staff, parents, and children
- Support the social-emotional development of the students
- Actively supervise and engage with students during choice time, outdoor play, games, etc.
- Maintain the safety and wellbeing of the students
- Complete necessary documentation; verifying parent or guardian sign out on attendance sheets
This position reports directly to the Camp Director, but may work independently, and as a team, with camp assistants, or other instructors.
Tools and material related to the creation of art, science, engineering projects. Training will be provided on Makerspace tools and equipment.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of various forms of making- robotics, art, science, sewing, coding, anthropology, etc.
- Demonstrate genuine concern, kindness, and respect to all staff, parents and children
- Display a high level of integrity and responsibility
- Teach youth in a respectful manner
- Apply firm, yet fair discipline
- Be a self-starter, able to work independently as well as effectively contribute as part of a team
- Complete all paperwork; follow camp policies and procedures
- Be an enthusiastic member of the Create Academy team
- Bachelor’s degree in education or education related field or specialized discipline (for example: art, music, language, outdoor education) preferred or 4 years experience working with children in an educational setting, or a combination of education and experience equal to 4 years
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Clean background check
- Adult/Pediatric First Aid/ CPR certified
Physical Aspects of the Job:
Work environment is typical of a school and art studio environment however this position involves daily exposure to weather elements. Candidates must possess adequate vision, hearing acuity, physical ability, strength, and stamina to perform the required responsibilities of activities associated with supervision and program delivery; ability to lift 35 pounds.